The European Parliament and the Council of Europe have now reached political agreement on the EU Data Act (Act). All that now remains is formal approval.
The key points to note from the Act are that it:
- enables users of internet connected devices (e.g., the Internet of Things) to get access to data generated by these devices and the services related to them and to share this data with third parties.
- provides for measures which protect against unilaterally imposed, unfair contract terms.
- includes mechanisms to allow public sector entities access to private sector data in very restricted circumstances, including in relation to public emergencies.
- contains rules to facilitate customers in switching between cloud service providers.
- includes measures designed to promote interoperability standards, which will ease the flow of data.
If you would like some help in considering how the EU Data Act might affect your business, we would be happy to assist. Simply raise this with your usual contact or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.